Saturday, May 11, 2013

Sunshine and The Little Guy

Reading in the Garden
9" by 12" by ¾" acrylic on cradled canvas
May 7, 2013

I learned a lot with this piece.  Selecting the colors was the biggest challenge and of course, as always, painting loose something I struggle with and must continue to practice.  I found the original, painted by Kay Fuller, as an ACEO selling on Ebay for $5.50.  Really a shame as it is such a cute painting but I guess that is the nature of the ACEO's.

For your information, ACEO is an acronym which stands for "Art Cards, Editions and Originals" and are the size of the baseball card, 2½ by 3½ inches.  They are very popular especially amongst traders and certain artists.  Personally, for all the work that goes into them, the monetary return for them just isn't worth it.  However, I have seen them selling for much more but that seems rare and as with all art, it requires a solid following of the artist's work.  

I could list 1 to 50 ACEO's at 1¢ with free S&H and still not sell them!  Nobody knows of me or my work.  I guess I'm invisible, a ghost, obscured, imponderable, a cipher,  insignificant, lightweight, a little guy, menial, nix, nonentity, nothing, nullity, parvenu, small potato, squirt, upstart, wimp, zero, zilch, zip, zippo ... OK, I visited a Thesaurus!  So sue me!  It was fun trying to put a name to nobody.  I believe my favorite of them is "small potato"!

No comments: