Sunday, May 12, 2013

Celebrating Sophie

Autumn Princess
11" by 14" by ¾" acrylic on cradled wood
May 11, 2013

This is after a wonderful artist named Sophie Gengembre Anderson who was born in 1823 and died in 1903.  I've actually painted her once before.  At the time, I had no idea who painted
it but I fell in love with it.  It was a couple of years before I finally found out who the artist was.  I finally ran across the image and was so excited.  She specialized in genre painting of children and women.  She was French born and English but lived in the US with her artist husband Walter Anderson.

The painting has the longest title I've ever run across!  The complete title is 'Take the Fair face of Woman, and Gently Suspending, With Butterflies, flowers, and Jewels Attending, Thus Your Fairy is Made of Most beautiful Things', Charles Ede.  It is usually simply called "Fairy Queen" and was painted in about 1880.  The one I'm showing is the one I painted which is but a reflection of Mrs. Anderson's original.  I called mine Myths and Legends.

This new one, Autumn Princess turned out better than I thought it would.  It is one that sat on the drafting table for a week or more because I was afraid to tackle it.  Once I finally took it on, it went quit fast.  I think I got lucky!

No comments: