Friday, April 12, 2013

Above Tar Beach

Pretty Eyes Watches Cassie Fly
12" by 16" acrylic on canvas board
April 11, 2013

There is a reason for this composition!  Cassie Louise Lightfoot, age 8, can fly!  Here's the thing.  Cassie is one of my dolls and she is also the heroine of her own storybook, Tar Beach by Faith Ringgold.

I was looking around for other friends of Pretty Eyes, besides Rat, that we might paint him with.  What better than a favorite doll that can fly!  Ms. Ringgold is a gifted artist that paints quilt installations and has turned a few of them into books.

Tar Beach 2, 1990, Silkscreen on silk, 66 x 66"

I actually did not know any of this when I bought Cassie.  I only saw a small doll that appealed to me and happened to have a book to accompany her.  Who could resist that?

Something to Ponder!  I wonder if I forgot to paint a tail for Pretty Eyes or if it was tucked behind him and not in view?

No comments: