Sunday, June 21, 2009

I am sometimes a lion

Babar Sher Grande
acrylic on 11" by 14" Claybord

This is a larger version of Babar Sher, Urdu for Lion posted on May 20, 2009. I am attempting 4 variations of that painting as an exercise. This is the first completed one. I hope to finish the 2nd one tonight.

This painting has renewed my appreciation for Claybord. Claybord needs to be painted with thin washes of color layered upon layer. I usually paint with straight heavy body acrylics and apply them anywhere from thin to fairly thick. So, I got to practice using washes. I used 3 washes on the background. The first two were Soft-Body Pithlo Blue RS mixed with equal parts of blue interference and iridescent gel. The third coat was Soft-Body Iridescent Rich Gold mixed with equal parts of gold interference and iridescent gel. I love the result!

When the lion was almost complete, I decided it was too green, so covered most of the face with gold interference. That did it!

The one excellent thing that can be learned from a lion is that whatever a man intends doing should be done by him with a whole-hearted and strenuous effort.
Chanakya

The quote, if you are reading this, is mostly for my new friend James Parker. I take my painting very seriously. Nothing will stop me, as I do it for myself. If someone likes it, that is a gift for me! This will spill over to all other aspects of my life as I continue to grow.

I am alright! Thank you for caring!
Goodnight!

No comments: