Friday, July 17, 2009

Laughter, Caring Deeds, Wonderful Stories & Love

Thank You... For Building a Path
acrylic on 8" by 10" by .75" stretched canvas
SOLD to Dottie
This is a little house in Fort Worth, Texas. A Grandmother and Grandfather lived in this house and used to entertain their grandchildren on summer vacations. They have been gone for many years but the memory of the good times remains.

Nobody can do for little children what grandparents do. Grandparents sort of sprinkle stardust over the lives of little children.
~Alex Haley

I never felt so special or so happy as I did with my Grandparents. They were always happy and kind and generous and loving. They were always glad for my presence.

Grandparents always made you feel they had been waiting to see just you all day and now the day would be complete.
~Marcy DeMaree

They traveled every year to see us in the winter and we traveled every year to see them in the summer.

A garden of Love grows in a Grandparent's heart.
~Helen Thomson

Their homes were roomy and always the same. They had a fragrance of their own that made them special and comfy.

I loved their home. Everything smelled older, worn but safe; the food aroma had baked itself into the furniture.
~Susan Strasberg

I wonder, if I could go back, how would it feel? How would it smell? Would I cry? Would I leave with the awareness that they are always with me.

"...I want to stay here" I whispered.
"No, we want you to take us with you."
"How do I do that?" I mumbled.
"Put us in your heart. Know your connection"

~Judith Fraser, MA, MFT

NOTE: As I was researching this post, I ran across the most wonderful story. The above quote by Judith Fraser, is a tiny excerpt from the story. Please follow this link and read this beautiful story about returning to the home of her Grandparents. You won't be sorry!

Dottie, this is for you!
Good Night

1 comment:

Eric S. said...

That's a great story, and knowing the background behind it makes it all the better. I love the little quotes place in with your story.

I have so many fond memories of my grandparents. One of whom, drove a white chevy step side pick up. She had a heavy foot, and we loved to ride with her. She was know to us as "Galloping Grandma and her White Charger".