Thursday, July 16, 2009

Art Challenge #13: The Patriot

Suffragette
acrylic on 9" by 12" by .75" stretched canvas
available $60 including shipping
email me for PayPal invoice

I learn something with every challenge. For instance, I had no idea what the word "suffrage" meant. The definition simply is: the right or privilege of voting.

This challenge for The Artist's Challenge is The Patriot. The definition of patriot is: one who loves and defends his or her country. Wikipedia gives so many definitions that my head was spinning! I did know that I wanted to paint something about the women of the early 20th century that fought for the right to vote, suffragettes. I looked up photos on Google and found this one.
I have to say, the idea of creating my own colors from a B&W photo was also very intriguing. I was not disappointed!

I found a few quotes that really impressed me, therefore, I'm including more than one today!

Carry out the republican principle of universal suffrage, or strike it from your banners
and substitute 'Freedom and Power to one half of society, and Submission and Slavery to the other.
~Ernestine Rose

Proof that they do not understand the republic is that in their fine promises for universal suffrage, they forgot women.
~Delphine de Girardin

Suffrage is a common right of citizenship. Women have the right of suffrage. Logically it cannot be escaped.
~Victoria Woodhull

Suffrage is the pivotal right.
~Susan B. Anthony

Can you imagine what these women went through to stand up and fight for their beliefs? They must have endured great opposition and hostility and yet they prevailed.

Wikipedia defines suffrage as: Suffragette is a term originally coined by the Daily Mail newspaper as a derogatory label for the more radical and militant members of the late-19th and early-20th century movement for women's suffrage in the United Kingdom, in particular members of the Women's Social and Political Union (WSPU). However, after former and then active members of the movement began to reclaim the word, the term became a label without negative connotations.

I think I would have the courage to fight for my beliefs, but I'm not sure. There are so many important issues today, and I'm not on the line for them, so it does make me wonder?

Well, enough of the history lesson. I hope someone found it interesting and someone learned something as I did!

The challenge debuts tomorrow, July 18th. I couldn't wait to post all my new found information one more day!

Good Morning dear ones

No comments: